Hello, friends in the Midwest. If you are in Chicago this week (June 23-25) the go-to events are the Chicago Park District’s Night Out in the Parks Soundwalks. For all ages – admission free. Become a citizen scientist. and explore the relationship we have with the sounds that surround us in this guided slow adventure. The initiative is a welcome collaboration among World Listening Project (@World_Listening) Midwest Society for Acoustic Ecology (@MidwestSocAE) and Chicago Parks District (@ChicagoParks)
Friday, June 24, 7-9:00 pm, Singing Insect Monitoring Soundwalk with Eric Leonardson and Carl Strang at North Park Village Nature Center. Meet at Lodge. Limited openings. Please sign up via Eventbrite,.
Saturday, June 25, 4:00-5:00 pm, with Norman W. Long in Washington Park/Bynum Island, 5531 S. Martin Luther King Drive. Meet at Field House
A Soundwalk is…
• For everyone’s enjoyment and learning
• Any walk “whose main purpose is listening to the environment. It is exposing our ears to every sound around us no matter where we are.”
• Environmental sounds are not just “noise” but “information” telling us what’s happening
• Each soundwalk lasts less than one hour
A Soundscape is…
• Every sound in your landscape, wherever you are
• Always changing, no sound is ever the same
• Not always noticed and often ignored
• A natural resource
• A design made in sound
To kick off the discussion
Are there maps of upcoming soundwalks around the world?
Are there any recordings of previous Chicago soundwalks?
What should we know about this year’s World Listening Day (July 18)?
Are there any scheduled soundwalks for those participating in this year’s World Conservation Congress?
June 24 Singing Insects Monitoring Soundwalk with Carl Strang. Learn the common insect calls of Cook County sign uphttps://www.eventbrite.com/e/singing-insect-monitoring-program-soundwalk-tickets-26048574989?ref=estw …
Singing Insect Monitoring Program & Soundwalk
In this first of two sessions, participants will learn the 12 most common and easily identifiable insect calls of Cook County. Walk with Carl Strang, DuPage County naturalist and expert on singing…