The United Nations General Assembly approved the adoption of 2017 as the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development. The resolution, adopted on December 4, 2015, recognizes “the importance of international tourism, and particularly of the designation of an international year of sustainable tourism for development, in fostering better understanding among peoples everywhere, in leading to a greater awareness of the rich heritage of various civilizations and in bringing about a better appreciation of the inherent values of different cultures, thereby contributing to the strengthening of peace in the world.”
“The declaration by the UN of 2017 as the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development is a unique opportunity to advance the contribution of the tourism sector to the three pillars of sustainability – economic, social and environmental, while raising awareness of the true dimensions of a sector which is often undervalued” said UNWTO Secretary-General, Taleb Rifai. “As the lead UN agency for this initiative, UNWTO is very much looking forward to proceeding with the organization and implementation of the International Year, in collaboration with Governments, relevant organizations of the UN system, other international and regional organizations and all other relevant stakeholders”, he added.
This decision follows the recognition by global leaders at the UN Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20) that “well-designed and well-managed tourism” can contribute to the three dimensions of sustainable development, to job creation and to trade.
How do we submit events to the official IY2017 calendar?
Will events and workshops related to IY2017 have livestreaming and archived video?
How will the International Year address climate change and the emissions created from long-haul travel?
Updating wiki throughout the year, request for guest wiki editors
Using Google Doc(s) for collaborative editing
Hosting series of live video conversations
Generating a wishlist and evaluating the outcomes
IY2017 Wish List
1) We’d like to learn about tourism and development
2) We’d like the IYSTD to be a window into UNWTO and partners
3) We’d like the IYSTD to be fully engaged via the social web
•Facebook, Flickr, Google, Periscope, Twitter, YouTube
•Livestreaming and archived video
•Resources for remote participants
4) We’d like the IYSTD events to engage locals and teach visitors about the host venues
5) We’d like the IYSTD to be a catalyst for satellite events and viewing parties
6) We’d like the IYSTD to be particularly friendly to Indigenous Peoples
7) We’d like the IYSTD to serve as an example of responsible travel embedded in tourism events
8) We’d like the IYSTD to address climate change
9) We’d like the IYSTD to address migration and the legal movement of people