Photo: Tienda Ayöök, Clay Rabbits
2019 is the International Year of Indigenous Languages (Año Internacional de las Lenguas Indígenas).
Planeta.com will be updating relevant features that showcase successful language conservation campaigns including Dizhsa Nabani, #UsaTuVoz , Kumoontun, and Māori Language Week / Te Wiki o te Reo Māori.
Suggestions are welcome as we edit and update this page on a regular basis throughout the year.
Background from the UN:
The 55th meeting of the 3rd Committee of the United Nations General Assembly, saw the adoption of the resolution on “Rights of Indigenous peoples.” The resolution stresses the urgent need to preserve, promote and revitalize endangered languages, and further proclaims 2019 the International Year of Indigenous Languages, inviting UNESCO to “serve as the lead agency for the Year.”
The text encourages Member States to work towards achieving the ends of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
The Resolution also reaffirms the importance of the empowerment and capacity building of Indigenous women and youth, including their full and effective participation in decision-making processes in matters that affect them directly, including policies, programs and resources, in particular in the areas of health, education, employment and the transmission of traditional knowledge, languages and practices. Additional emphasis has been put on international cooperation to support national and regional efforts to maintain and strengthen the distinct political, legal, economic, social and cultural institutions of Indigenous peoples, encouraging Member States to give due consideration to all the rights of Indigenous peoples in fulfilling the commitments undertaken in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and in the elaboration of national programs.
Questions for the organizers
- What are the hashtags for the 2019 International Year?
Questions for organizers of other events
- Will there be a celebration of the International Year of Indigenous Languages on … Biodiversity Day? World Environment Day? World Tourism Day?
Questions for Indigenous peoples
- What words would you like others to know from your language?
- What would you like to learn during the 2019 International Year of Indigenous Languages?
- What would you like others to know about your language, your culture?
Questions for non-Indigenous peoples
- How can you be supportive of the 2019 International Year of Indigenous Languages?
- Which Indigenous languages would you like to learn?
- How do we champion efforts to conserve Indigenous languages and cultures?
- How do we engage visitors?
- Can you create and share a video celebrating the International Year of Indigenous Languages?
- Can you create fan art, murals, artwork celebrating International Year of Indigenous Languages?
Elsewhere on the Web