Photo: 2013 Festival
San Jerónimo Tlacochahuaya is one of the oldest settlements in the region, founded by Zapotecs around 1100 AD.
Named after a Zapotec warrior (Cochicahuala, or ‘he who fights at night), the town is located two kilometers from the Pan American highway behind afac large hill called Cerro Negro.
Churches = Iglesias
The Dominicans began the construction of a convent in 1586. The organ dates to 1739 and was restored in 1991.
Look for the sun dial outside the church.
LOCATION — Tlacochahuaya is located 25 kilometers east of Oaxaca City.
Elsewhere on the Web
San Jerónimo Tlacochahuaya